Jasper van Vliet
Jasper van Vliet is an Assistant Professor in land-use science. In his research he combines case study approaches and meta-study approaches with spatial analysis and spatial modeling tools in order to improve our understanding of land use change processes. Jasper teaches a number of courses related to spatial analysis at the Bachelor and the Master level. Moreover, he contributes to the research design course for thesis students and supervises a number of Bachelor and Master thesis projects. Jasper has ample international experience due to his participation in a number of international research projects, his capacity building project in Southeast Asia, and several international workshops and conferences.
Expertise: Land use, Land-use change, Meta-study, Modelling, Validation
- 2013 PhD in Geo-Information Science, Wageningen University, the Netherlands
- 2007 MSc. in Geo-Information Science, Wageningen University, the Netherlands
- 2015-present: Assistant Professor in land use science, VU University Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2012-2015: Postdoctoral Researcher, VU University Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 2007-2011: Researcher and consultant at the Research Institute for Knowledge Systems bv, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Vliet, J. van, Magliocca, N., Buchner, B., Cook, E., Beneyas, J, Ellis, E.C., Heinimann, A., Keys, E., Lee, T.M., Liu, J., Mertz, O., Meyfroidt, P., Moritz, M.A., Poeplau, C., Robinson, B.E., Seppelt, R., Seto, K.C. & Verburg, P.H. (2016). Meta-studies in land use science: Current coverage and prospects. AMBIO: A Journal of the Human Environment, 45 (1), 15-28.
- Ariti, A.T., Vliet, J. van & Verburg, P.H. (2015). Land-use and land-cover changes in the Central Rift Valley of Ethiopia: Assessment of perception and adaptation by stakeholders. Applied Geography, 65, 28-37.
- Eitelberg, D.A., Vliet, J. van & Verburg, P.H. (2015). A review of global potentially available cropland estimates and their consequences for model-based assessments. Global Change Biology, 21 (3), 1236-1248.
- Vliet, J. van, Groot, H.L.F. de, Rietveld, P. & Verburg, P.H. (2015). Manifestations and underlying drivers of agricultural land use change in Europe. Landscape and Urban Planning, 133, 24-36.
- van Vliet, J., Bregt, A.K., and Hagen-Zanker, A. (2011) Revisiting Kappa to account for change in the accuracy assessment of land-use models. Ecological Modelling 222 (18), 1367-1375.
For a complete overview, please look at my Google Scholar profile.
Contact: Tel: +31 20 59 83052 | E-mail: email@example.com